Saturday, May 10, 2014


May 1-10  2014....This month didn't start out so great. There must be something about the 1st that me knee's don't like!

1st – the weather was beautiful so we decided to take a short bike ride in the afternoon. We only made it from D/F house to the skate park (maybe a ½ mile) when I was looking back at something...well when turning back around I saw that I was on the edge of the concrete drop off. I tried to correct and the bike through me to the concrete (should have kept going on the grass but there was a big tree there and the skate park wall). I twisted and landed on my 'left' knee and elbow/arm. My first thought when I was laying there was why couldn't it be the right knee that already hurt. I quickly realized that I was not going to be able to put any weight on that leg. Mike ended up riding one bike back to the house and getting the Tracker. He drove up on the bike trail and got me and the bike in the car. We went to see Dr. Legan and then to get xrays of the knee and elbow.
2nd – Had an appointment with Orthopedic Dr. Luckett. Found out that the left knee has a lateral tibial fracture. Elbow has soft tissue effusion but only showed the break from the last bike accident in 2008! Yes this is my 3rd bike accident (2006, 2008, 2014). They also xrayed my right knee and found that it is bone on bone! From there I went to have a CT scan on the right knee. Then to Clarks to rent a 'walker' as I can't put any weight on the knee for 6 weeks.
3rd – 4th … it was a long weekend – very difficult getting around and both knees hurt a lot. The right now takes all the weight and pressure. Doug/Fran brought Hebblemen's big trailer up on Sunday to load up some of our stuff.
5th – Follow up Dr. appointment with Ortho. Found that the fracture view from the CT showed the same as the xray....no surgery at this time! The doc tried to aspirate the left knee but the could only get a small amount of blood out due to the clotting....boy that is painful. He gave me a 'synvisc' (chicken comb) injection in the right knee. 
From there we all went up to the storage unit and Mike, Doug and Fran loaded up the trailer. They were able to get 2/3 of our 'stuff' loaded – I watched and pointed!
After all that it was time for lunch at Luz's Mexican.  Then stops at ProBuild to check out siding/windows and Sam's and the OP. It was a very long day!
6th –  We talked to the contractor regarding the house bid.  Doug/Fran took off with the loaded trailer. I stayed put in my chair most of the day.
7th – 10th...We did some errands, which is not an easy task considering Mike has to cart around my 'transport chair' to get me to and from the car. I did have Doug/Fran bring up a pair of crutches that Steve/Denita had. They actually work better than the walker but my arm hurts when I use them. Hopefully that will get better with time. It's going to be a very long 6 weeks! If it rains, Doug/Fran intend on coming up again with their trailer to finish loading out stuff! We will take the motorhome and cars to Turner on Wed.